Wednesday, April 15, 2009

breakingfree.


So I've been having a dilemma roughly since my second semester at of college.

Am I supposed to be studying to be a doctor? Since I can remember, I've always dreamed of being a doctor. Oh, but not just any doctor, specifically a surgeon. My mom's co-workers would ask me what I wanted to be when I was older. "A ballerina or princess?" they would suggest. "No. A surgeon," I replied. So yes. My dream was to attend Stanford and achieve my goal this way. [Well, it seems I'm at Biola. But that's not the issue.]

Or does God want me to be a teacher and teach children whom I adore? Children bring me tons and tons of joy. The way they interact with you is so carefree. They are quick to judge, yes, but for some reason it's not as harsh. The often overlook your flaws and just have fun with you. I very much enjoy teaching the kids at my church.

So I've been asking a lot of people seeking for advice. Many say that they see me more of a teacher than a doctor. Probably because I am more creative and carefree than I am a science nerd. I've also spoken to my parents about it. They are not against me being a teacher. Unlike some Asian parents I've heard of, they wouldn't scold me for choosing a less extravagant career. However, they'd rather me make my decision soon that I won't waste money.

After speaking to an advisor in the School of Education at Biola, I quickly concluded that I do NOT want to be a teacher. Mainly because it'll take me longer than I want, and this is the first time EVER have I considered taking a different route other than Science.
[seriously at least-I've mentioned wedding planning] I just had to get my motivation back.

Recently I've been spending a lot of time in the library by myself listening to Francis Chan podcasts [the internet there is fast]. One day, I found it difficult to listen to what he was preaching for some reason. So I wandered off to surf the internet. I was checking the HCC [health career club] folder on BUBBS and decided to check out the medschool links. I soon stumbled upon Doctor Diaries on Nova. It's basically a documentary [an old one] about Harvard med students and what they go through in med school. INTENSE.

But I like. YAY. I'm still gonna be a doctor. Not sure if I'm gonna be a surgeon, but definitely a doctor. Also, everytime I see a children's hospital, I get all excited and funny inside.

Sigh. I'm content now. Just got to work hard. O-Chem, Physics, Microbiology, Genetics, Cell & Molecular Biology HERE I COME! BAM!

p.s. Mustachio is for TZENG-MO-LING

No comments: